Bruno Fernandes made amends for a missed penalty with a spectacular late strike that impressed Manchester United to a 4-1 victory at Newcastle.
A shocking save from goalkeeper Karl Darlow noticed Fernandes miss his first penalty in Manchester United colors on the eleventh try, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s aspect appeared destined for a draw after Harry Maguire’s header had cancelled out Luke Shaw’s second-minute personal aim at St. James’ Park.
However a dominant Manchester United claimed an emphatic victory when Fernandes rifled into the highest nook with 5 minutes remaining, Aaron Wan-Bissaka thumped in his first senior aim and Marcus Rashford’s stoppage-time fourth sealed a deserved three factors on Tyneside.
Manchester United climb to 14th within the Premier League on six factors after their second victory of the season, some extent and three locations behind Newcastle in eleventh.
Newcastle: Darlow (7), Krafth (5), Fernandez (5), Lascelles (5), Lewis (5), Hayden (5), Shelvey (6), Hendrick (5), Saint-Maximin (6), Joelinton (3), Wilson (5).
Subs: Schar (6), Fraser (5), Almiron (n/a).
Man Utd: De Gea (7), Wan-Bissaka (8), Lindelof (7), Maguire (8), Shaw (7), Fred (6), McTominay (6), Mata (8), Fernandes (7), James (6), Rashford (7).
Subs: Matic (n/a), Pogba (6), Van de Beek (6).
Man of the Match: Bruno Fernandes
How Man Utd roared again in type
Solskjaer demanded a response from Manchester United of their first outing for the reason that 6-1 thrashing by the hands of Tottenham. What he received was a nightmare begin, as Shaw deflected Emil Krafth’s cross previous the wrong-footed David de Gea at hand Newcastle the lead inside two minutes.
Manchester United regrouped nicely after registering their fifth Premier League personal aim in opposition to Newcastle, and the guests appeared to have restored parity on 19 minutes when Fernandes picked out the highest nook following a neat alternate with Juan Mata.
- Jamaal Lascelles changed Fabian Schar in Newcastle’s solely change from the win over Burnley.
- Scott McTominay, Fred, Juan Mata, Daniel James and Victor Lindelof returned as Man Utd made 5 modifications from the defeat to Spurs. Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic and Eric Bailly dropped to the bench, whereas Anthony Martial (suspended) and Mason Greenwood missed out fully.
A routine VAR assessment discovered Mata had strayed into an offside place within the build-up and the equaliser was chalked off, however Manchester United did not have to attend for much longer to attract themselves degree.
Mata was the architect once more, this time choosing out Maguire from a nook because the Manchester United captain hauled his aspect degree and drew a line underneath a difficult week with a towering header into the underside nook.
Allan Saint-Maximin drew De Gea into motion with a near-post drive, and the Spaniard produced a fair higher cease early within the second half to disclaim Callum Wilson, clawing the ahead’s effort off the road as he tried to show Saint-Maximin’s cross house on the stretch.
VAR denied Manchester United an equaliser within the first interval, however the know-how handed them an opportunity to take the lead for the primary time on 58 minutes, as Jamal Lewis was penalised for a problem on Rashford after referee Craig Pawson consulted the pitchside monitor.
Up stepped Fernandes however, after an orthodox run-up, his firmly-hit spot-kick was brilliantly palmed away by Darlow.
Maguire had a header cleared off the road by Jonjo Shelvey from the ensuing nook. Except a Shelvey 20-yard drive, all that stood between the dominant guests and the lead with the impressed Darlow, who produced a string of saves.
It appeared solely a matter of time earlier than United made the breakthrough, and the strain finally informed in a remaining five-minute flurry.
Fernandes rattled a surprising effort in off the publish after linking up with Rashford within the remaining third, Wan-Bissaka rifled an emphatic drive house on the close to publish and Rashford wrapped issues up with a fourth on the counter in stoppage-time.
Opta stats – Man Utd bounce again
- Manchester United loved their tenth comeback win in opposition to Newcastle within the Premier League, essentially the most by any aspect in opposition to a single opponent within the competitors.
- Manchester United have been awarded 17 penalties within the Premier League for the reason that begin of final season, 5 greater than every other aspect within the competitors (12 scored).
- Bruno Fernandes missed his first penalty for Man Utd in what was his eleventh since his debut on February 1st 2020 (10 scored, 1 missed) with these 11 six greater than every other Premier League participant has taken in that point.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka grew to become the 116th totally different participant to attain for Manchester United within the Premier League in what’s his thirty eighth league look for the membership.
- Marcus Rashford registered three aim involvements in a single Premier League recreation for the one the third time ever (1 aim, 2 assists), additionally doing so in opposition to Fulham in December 2018 and Arsenal in February 2016.
What the managers mentioned…
Newcastle boss Steve Bruce: “We had been crushed by the higher workforce. The frustration was we had been naïve in the long run. Callum Wilson had a giant probability, however De Gea pulls off a marvel save. It might need been a bit totally different.
“The frustration was that we conceded 4 in the long run, we left large open areas in behind us as we all know that’s you do this in opposition to high gamers it turns into very troublesome.”
Man Utd supervisor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: “Nice outcome and nice character to come back again, led by a really inspirational captain.
“The boys got here collectively rather well. They’re wanting ahead to each recreation. At the moment I rested just a few they usually have come on and performed the enterprise for us.
“Harry scored and led by instance. He confirmed good character, I’m blissful for him. He had a few troublesome weeks since he final performed for us.
“The season began for us as we speak. We’ve come as much as the velocity of the sport and that confirmed as we speak.”
Newcastle journey to Wolves at 4.30pm on Tremendous Sunday – reside on Sky Sports activities Premier League.
Manchester United head to Paris Saint-Germain for his or her first Champions League group stage recreation on Tuesday at 8pm, earlier than internet hosting Chelsea at 5.30pm on Saturday Night time Soccer – reside on Sky Sports activities Premier League.